Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why I am dumping Voicethread

So, after a fairly dismal showing last week, I decided to try again today....I attributed my problems to my inexperience.  For my second try, I  uploaded a world map and wanted kids to research a the weather in a Spanish speaking capital (assigned by notecards), which they would then use to create a short weather report. They would draw an arrow to their country while recording the weather and hi/lo temps.  In theory. Since it wont let me get a copy of the shared link, i sent an email to myself, then opened the VT, then copy and pasted into an edmodo post.   A few students managed to follow the link and record successfully. Several got stuck in a never ending loop of nothing, requiring a log out and in  in order to function. A couple were so confounded by the steps that they gave up.  Others wanted to edit, which you can't do. You have to delete then start again. But, you can only delete the comment in the VT while clicking on your comment.  I just was starting to feel like I was getting it down when I tried to create another VT for third block.

IT WOULDN'T LET ME.

A small message said I Had to UPGRADE.  And how does one upgrade, you ask? By purchasing 5 more VTs to the tune of $2.99.  By that time, I had already written the plan and implemented it in first block so I PAID IT.  When I went to upload my world map- the SAME ONE from first block, it acted as if it was thinking about it.  The VT was eventually created but NO MAP.  At this time, I told them to record anyway but it kept losing the comments that I watched my kids record and SAVE.  Smart me, I decided to log out myself to see if it would reload properly. AND THEN IT WOULDN'T LET ME BACK IN.  I tried several passwords and logins to no avail. I thought, maybe I need to look up my password.  IT HAS NO WAY TO DO THAT. So, I directed my browser to safari and entered the web version so figure it out.  AND GOT STUCK IN A LOOP OF NOTHINGNESS.

It was awesome when I used it via the web several months ago but I will just have to give up my 2.99 until they come up with a better version of this hideous app.

No comments:

Post a Comment