Thursday, January 31, 2013

Zondle learning games

Check out this video by the creator of Zondle...




Zondle describes their app this way:  "Zondle allows teachers to create or set questions that students can play in over 40 games".   These games have been created with serious brain research in mind to create
the maximum learning for the fun (you can actually read the research on their website if you are so inclined).   Teachers can monitor and "grade" their students through a class management window.  

In a nutshell, this is what I've been experiencing:

The verbiage is British English so it sounds a bit weird in some places. It says, for example, "the games my teacher set for me".  It doesn't interfere with the usability once you get used to it.  In some cases, the audio recordings are really cute!  (My favorite is the chicken/egg game...)

It is primarily web-based but it does have android and iPad mobile versions with somewhat limited capability.  For example, you can create an account in the iPad app but you must go to a laptop/desktop to add content.  I think the game plays better in the app.  

The Fuzzball Fling (think Angry Birds) is my students' top choice of game.  Face Painter and Pizza Creator are their second and third faves.  Although they can be played in the web app, I think the games play better in the mobile version.  Maybe that is just a personal preference, though?

While they are described as appropriate from pre-K to Higher Education.  I think their ideal audience falls in a pretty large middle area, maybe 2nd to High School (younger students aren't independent readers, older ones can get bored easily by the games).

There is an Edmodo Zondle-users group at this link and a Google form for suggesting changes.  The creator of the game, Doug Lapsey, is available by email and also through the Zondle Edmodo page.  I had a problem with a glitch in the iPad app and got a response within hours.  

By far, my best experience with Zondle has been using the Team Play option.  The user selects the topic and it uses a set of pre-loaded questions and answers to create a gameshow-type environment.  Students can interact with the game through any smart device, they just register the device using a code.  I've tried smaller player numbers and larger and the team play option is still fun times.  The only drawback to a lot of users is that you can't see who has answered unless you scroll down-which was difficult for me on the SmartBoard (maintaining the precise orientation is always an issue).  This is still in Beta testing, so it may change some in the coming months...but I think this will be the feature I use on a regular basis.

For the shear volume of choices, Zondle is in a category alone.  And my kids are literally BEGGING to play!  Please comment if you have used this resource...my experience is only as a "Zondle Newby" (yes, that is actually how the account is labeled).  And check out my personal Zondle below...Shall we call her Frida?
                                     
UPDATE 10/22/13:  I've progressed to Zondle Guru!

The developer, Dougi, has now added embeddability to the site.  You can get an embed code that embeds a window on your website that students can log into one time, then they can use it as much as they want.  It still tracks their progress to your class...And they've added SWAG.  You can purchase stickers, temporary tattoos, keychains and even a phone cover with Zondle--they are a bit pricey but they sent me some free samples and they are quite cool.  The kids fight over them!  One of my kids is a weight lifter and he was so excited when he won a temporary tattoo that he put it on his cheek.  His lifting buddies didn't let him live it down!  There is also a place where you can add "Teacher Goodies".    Students earn "zollars" that they can use to purchase prizes entered by the teacher.  For example, you could offer  "5 minutes of Monster Mash at the end of class" for 1000 zollars--there's even a way to track which prizes you have awarded!  Very cool design!

And while I am on the topic of cool stuff--there is also functionality within Edmodo now as well.  Students don't have to log in separately, just into Edmodo, then open the Zondle app.  Wowzers!  Downside is that it costs $25-Boo!  Since their motto is "It's free.  And always will be", I have to wonder if Edmodo is charging the fee...Hmmm.

I don't use it all the time, but it is VERY engaging for kids--and is one more tool in the toolbox of activities that I rotate through.  I hope you'll try it out!

And if you want to know...Why games???  Check out this cool info-graphic about brain research and games...


1 comment:

  1. I've just discovered Zondle. Looking forward to having a play around once I have time. http://www.freetechforschools.com/2013/04/zondle-supporting-learning-through-games.html

    ReplyDelete