Monday, September 10, 2012

My newest crush: QR codes

So, this weekend Edmodo didn't like my uploads and I had to discover an alternate plan to publish my documents.  My solution:  QR codes

How I create a document with a QR code:
scan a document then email myself from my desktop
open the document on the ipad and save to camera roll
open dropbox and upload camera roll
open document and copy link to clipboard
open QRafty (I purchased the advanced option for 2.99) and click 'create'
select 'from url' and paste link

I kept each of my qr codes in the task list and brought them up one by one as needed on the projector.  Students used the same app "QRafty" to scan it.  they selected "scan" then "scan with camera".  students didn't have to take a pic, just hovered over the code from anywhere in the room.  Size wasn't an issue.  Students then clicked "go to url" to download the doc from dropbox or clicked "copy link to clipboard" to open in Skitch or picCollage.

For students to turn in the document:  
Students saved to the library or camera roll,
Uploaded to Dropbox (did require a login)
Copied the link to clipboard
Then opened our Spanish Assignment Turn In Google Form (which we have saved to the home screen for direct access) and
Pasted the link and filled out their info (class, name, assignment etc)

Small problems:
Except for the county blocking my Dropbox and not allowing me to use Google Chrome QR reader apps, it went pretty smoothly.

There isn't a way to label the documents/qr codes in the task list  so I mixed up a couple but later figured out that I could use a different program (I googled free online qr code generator) and saved to the camera roll instead.  I tried to use the create from clipboard option, but I couldn't get the document to save to the clipboard.  Might be a user naivetee issue or maybe just a shortcoming of the QRafty app itself.

In spite of there not really being any steps fewer than just uploading to Edmodo, students responded really favorably to this technique.  I think they liked not having to sift through all the posts to get to the document we needed.  They got it immediately.  And no signing in was needed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment